Thursday, June 12, 2008

Okinawan History - Social, Political and Cultural


Anyone who knows me in relation to karate will tell you I have more than a passing interest in the history of Okinawan karate, whilst this book is not specific to karate at all, it does outline historical aspects of Okinawa, looking at the social, political and cultural aspects.

Personally I find this book the best easily available to get a “picture” of where our art came from, and to assist my understanding of the main influences of its development.
It's a tough read (I'm no academic), but I'm on about my 5th read through and I always pick up interesting information.
If you are seriously interested in the history of Okinawa, then this book IMO is the best available to give a broad outline and understanding of the Island people.


Also here is some good online “general” history of Okinawa, well worth a look!

Jim

 

No comments: